- I am packing and repacking still.
- I am more mentally prepared than I have ever been and physically in one piece (kudos to my new coach Lelan Dains.)
- The moon is going to be beautiful Saturday night.
- I am very confident in my gear selection (have you seen the Salsa Warbird?)
- The weather is going to be perfect.
- TransIowa is really just a gathering of the best people in the WORLD and the biggest hills of Iowa gravel.
- I am still scared, 5 years into this, so scared. (those good butterflies though.)
- I want that pain.
- BRING IT ON!
This is it. The TransIowa. Every year it sneaks up on me. This year is the last one for a long time. I have no idea what Guitar Ted is planning for the next 5 years, but I know I will not be riding in this event next year. I will volunteer and give what I can, but I want to give V. 12 my all. The year I finished I remember the lady I rode with told me, “I came all the way from freaking Oregon, I am finishing.” If I had to tell someone where I came from it would be this.
“One of the deepest, darkest parts of me. Pure passion and love. Even if I don’t see the finish line again I want to see more of me. I want to push beyond what I think I can do and get there. Pride. Optimism. Willful. That should get me somewhere.”
This is it.
Whatever happens I know that I will give my all. I don’t even know what that is yet. That is the best part.
I am so humbled every year to be a part of this event. It has helped mold and taught me so much about what I can do and what I need to do.
I love this ride. I love these people.